1/2 cup sesame oil
10 Alaska Grown garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup canola, corn or grapeseed oil
1 small head Alaska Grown purple cabbage (about 1 lb.)
1 small head Alaska Grown green cabbage (about 1 lb.)
1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
Juice of 2 limes
1 pint Alaska Grown cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters
Seeds of 2 pomegranates (about 1 cup)
1 cup each Alaska Grown herbs, leaves only: mint, cilantro and basil
1 Tablespoon salt
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 orange, zested and juiced
4 oz. dry white wine
1 Tablespoon pickling spice (or 1 Tablespoon black peppercorns and 2 bay leaves)
2 lb. Alaska spot prawns, heads removed, shell on
salt and pepper, to taste
4 oz. roasted peanuts, chopped
Heat the sesame oil over medium heat in pan; add garlic. Gently fry until golden brown. Strain out garlic, reserving oil. Blot garlic on paper towels to dry. (If needed, crisp in 200°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.) Blend cooled sesame oil with canola oil. Set garlic and oil aside. (This step may be done up to a day ahead.)
- Quarter cabbages; thinly slice each into a separate bowl. Rinse, strain and dry cabbages thoroughly; refrigerate, if not using immediately. (May be done up to a day ahead.)
- Place cabbages into a large mixing bowl, season liberally with salt; toss lightly and let stand 5 minutes. Pour on lime juice, add tomatoes and pomegranate seeds. Thinly slice the herbs; lightly toss into salad.
- Prepare an ice bath; set aside. Boil 3 quarts water in a large pot; add salt, lemon and orange juices and zest, wine and pickling spice. Return to a boil; add prawns. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, just until prawn shells are bright and prawns are opaque throughout.
- Place prawns in ice bath for 1 to 2 minutes to chill. Remove prawns; peel off shells if preferred. In a bowl, coat prawns lightly with about 2 to 3 tablespoons reserved oil blend. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, drizzle just enough oil blend onto cabbage mixture salad to coat. Portion cabbage among 4 large bowls. Sprinkle on fried garlic and peanuts. Divide and place prawns over salad. Serve immediately.
Recipe developed by Chef Aaron Apling-Gilman, Alyeska Resort.