For the salmon:
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
4 (6-ounces each) wild Alaska salmon fillets
2 tablespoons peanut oil, ghee, or other high-heat cooking oil
For the yogurt sauce:
1 cup plain yogurt (not Greek)
3 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
Pinch black pepper
For the salad:
6 ounces (about 16) cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Persian cucumber, diced small
1/8 teaspoon salt
A pinch of black pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons roughly chopped mint leaves
2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro leaves
1. Mix the spices: In a small bowl, stir the turmeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, paprika Cayenne pepper and salt until blended. With a small whisk, work the ginger into the spices until blended.
2. Season the salmon fillets: Spread the spice mix over the skinless side of the fillets and pat it so it sticks to the fillets.
3. Cook the salmon: In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the salmon pieces with the skinless (spice) sides down. Cook for 15 to 20 seconds, without moving, just long enough for the spices to form a crust. The spices should smell fragrant and you should see some light charring on the fish.
Turn the fish over and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and opaque. The exact time will vary according to the thickness of the fillets. Transfer the salmon to a platter and let rest for 5 minutes.
4. Make the yogurt tahini sauce: In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt, tahini lemon juice, salt and pepper until smooth. Taste and add more lemon juice, salt, and pepper, if you like.
5. Make the salad garnish: In a bowl, stir together the tomatoes, cucumbers, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil together. Stir in the mint and cilantro leaves.
6. Serve the salmon: Surround the salmon on the platter with the salad garnish and either drizzle the tahini yogurt sauce over top or serve it on the side