For the lemon aioli:
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
For the batter:
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup club soda
For the fritto misto:
- Avocado oil for frying (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 pound Alaska spot prawns, peeled (leave tails on if desired)
- 1/2 pound Alaska scallops
- 1/2 pound Alaska pollock or cod fillet, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large red onion, thickly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into thin sticks
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- Lemon wedges
- Sea salt
- To make the lemon aioli, mix the mayonnaise, garlic, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Taste and add more lemon if desired.
- To make the batter, whisk the tapioca flour, cassava flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the club soda and whisk until smooth.
- To make the fritto misto, add oil in a large, deep skillet until it reaches a depth of about an inch. Heat the oil to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet or tray with paper towels. Dip the seafood and vegetables into the batter in batches and add them to the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown on the bottom, then gently flip and fry until golden brown on the second side. Transfer to the towel-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining seafood and vegetables, making sure to give the oil a minute to heat back up between batches.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot with lemon wedges for squeezing and lemon aioli for dipping.
Recipe Credit: Becky Winkler of A Calculated Whisk